Dearest Unison Family,
Welcome back to school! I’m sitting in my office space at Unison feeling the excitement that I feel every year at this time when I await the arrival of the students. The school is just not as fun and exciting without all of your children bringing our halls to life with their laughter and chatter.
We are entering our fourth year as a school and our second year as a full 6 – 8. This summer has been full of planning and meetings to ensure that your children walk into a school prepared to provide them with the quality public education that is their right. But, even more than that, we have been thinking and planning in order to provide your children with a second home when they are in this building. The staff is more talented, more loving, and more ready than I have yet seen.
I am confident that this coming school year will take our school and all our students to new levels as we work hard, together, to ensure that each student at our school leaves ready for high school and eventually college. The partnership between the school, the home and the community is really the most important key to building the kind of school that all our students deserve!
I want to share a few new and exciting things happening at Unison:
- Advisory – each child will be assigned to an advisory that meets every day from 8:20AM to 8:40AM. The advisory will be a great place for your kids to build close and trusting relationships with a small group of students and a teacher.
- A Farm – we are building a farm at our school this year! Yes, you heard right, A FARM! Look out!
- Wellness in the Schools – we will be focusing on healthy living this year with cooking classes, a recess coach and a healthy and fresh-food based lunch menu each and every day!
- 8th Grade Academy – our 8th graders will be participating in a writing-based leadership class each week during Citizen Schools. The 8th Grade Academy (8GA) will focus on High School selection and college exposure too!
- Student Action Squads – two students from every class will be student leaders on Unison’s Student Action Squad (SAS). They will do service work across the school and will participate in cool leadership building activities.
- ENACT, Inc – we will be focusing on building positive relationships between students and helping to teach them how to deal with conflict in healthy ways through a rich partnership with Enact, Inc. Our sixth graders will meet with ENACT teachers once a week during their theater class. Enact will also work with a small group of sixth graders to grow their leadership skills to lead the sixth graders in building healthy and positive relationships with one another.
- Urban Advantage – our students will be participating in a ton of science trips this year and we will be sending home family passes for your families to go to different museums for free across the city!
Please know that you can contact the school anytime between now and when school opens for students by calling the school directly at (718) 399 – 1061. You can also always email me directly at Emily.Jarrell@UAUnison.org.
Like we say, everyone has a seat at the table at Unison School. We have open doors and welcome you anytime to join us because we also have seats at the table for each of you.
I look forward to seeing you all soon,
Emily Jarrell, Principal